Temptation is something we all face in our every day life, no matter what religion or belief we follow if any at all. It can and will in some cases lead to lust and self-destructive behaviours. A lot of individuals believe they have more restraint than they actually possess—ultimately leading to poor decision-making as most of us miscalculate the amount of temptation we could truly handle, in turn leading to a greater likelihood of indulging impulsive or addictive behaviour.
“We expose ourselves to more temptation than is wise, and subsequently we have millions of people suffering with obesity, addictions and other unhealthy lifestyles”
Some people are not good at anticipating the power of their urges, and those who are the most confident about their self-control are the most likely to give into temptation, some people often have difficulty appreciating the power of impulsive states. People in a “cold state” (not experiencing hunger, anger, sexual arousal, etc.) tend to underestimate how a “hot” impulsive state will influence their behaviour.
There are a few practical things however, that we can do to grow stronger and smarter in our struggle against s such emotion. “The key is simply to avoid any situations where vices and other weaknesses thrive and, most importantly, for individuals to keep a humble view of their willpower.” You can learn how to avoid temptation by practicing these five steps.
- Recognize your tendency and ability to control your impulses, in response to temptation such as, food, material, people, work, greed, drug craving and sexual arousal influences and much more.
- Walk away from it when you feel its heaviness, and you can feel it.
- Resist with the Word of truth ..You must admit you have self-control before you can use it.
- “Refocus”.. It’s all right letting yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back .
- Repeat the above quickly when you fail.
Temptations first manifest them-selves as split second thoughts. If you are losing ground in your thoughts, the temptation will find greater resistance if you take them before the holy spirit this will give you more strength of mind than you may think .
The best day of your life will be the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. This gift is yours – life is an amazing journey when you manifest it the right ways – and you alone are responsible for the quality of it.
Regular prayer is essential for maintaining intimacy with the holy spirit through your inner-self, personal relationship with spirit and personal responsibility.
The communication line of prayer is always open!
Just a thought: Nothing makes it easier to resist temptation than a proper up bringing, and a sound set of values from the start for your children.
- The Nature Of Temptation (samuelatgilgal.wordpress.com)
- Temptations and Self-Control (danariely.com)